- What is iTunes U?
- What is a podcast?
- What is Northwestern on iTunes U?
- Can anyone access the content on Northwestern on iTunes U?
- Do I have to use iTunes and Apple products to have access?
- What is the cost to download a podcast, video or audio file from Northwestern on iTunes U?
- How do I subscribe to Northwestern on iTunes U?
- How can I contribute an audio or video file Northwestern on iTunes U?
- Does Northwestern on iTunes U support both Audio and Video?
- Can I use Northwestern on iTunes U to deliver class notes to my students?
iTunes U is a free, hosted service for higher education from Apple that provides a means for managing, delivering, and accessing university-related podcasts, audio and video files to interested members of the global community.
A podcast is a multimedia broadcast hosted on a Web site. It can be audio or video based and is delivered in a format which is portable with all computers and most mobile devices. You can use iTunes U with or without a podcast.
Northwestern on iTunes U is a free service that allows anyone on iTunes to view University-produced podcast on a variety of mobile devices. Northwestern on iTunes U is a service of Academic & Research Technologies (A&RT) and is supported by Faculty Support Services.
Yes. Northwestern on iTunes U is a public site. Anyone using iTunes can access Northwestern’s public iTunes U collection.
Northwestern is currently planning to create a Course site on iTunes U which will be accessible only to University faculty, staff, and students.
Yes and No. Northwestern on iTunes U requires iTunes version 6.0 or later for Mac and Windows. You can download iTunes for either computer on the iTunes Web site. Podcasts can be viewed on iPods, iPhones, and other MP3 devices.
All educational podcast programming available at Northwestern on iTunes U is free to download and free to publish/upload. There are no plans at this time to charge for any content available on Northwestern on iTunes U.
We currently do not have an RSS feed option.
Yes. Northwestern on iTunes U supports the following types of compressed audio and video files:
- Audio files with .mp3 and .m4a extensions
- Video files with .mp4 extensions
Not at this time. Northwestern is in the planning stages to create an access-restricted site which includes Course linked iTunes U sites for course based material. These sites will only be accessible to University faculty, staff, and students.
University faculty will be able to download lectures, assignments, videos, and podcasts to share with their students.